Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
The Hamilton Spectator
CALEDONIA (Mar 15, 2006)
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Federal officials have no plans to intervene in the Six Nations occupation of a residential development that goes into its third week today.
Susan Bertrand, spokesperson for the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, said Minister Jim Prentice and his office have been watching the situation since protesters moved onto Douglas Creek Estates on Feb. 28.
But she added the protest will have to be resolved locally between Henco Industries, the developer, and the group of Six Nations activists occupying the residential site off Argyle Street south of Caledonia.
"We don't have a direct role in a protest such as this," Bertrand said yesterday. "We don't play a part in the protest itself, which is between the protesters and the developer."
For the last two weeks, protesters have flown a large banner proclaiming "Six Nations Land" between two lamp posts at the entrance of the residential development. They've also erected barricades and prevented about 75 tradesmen from entering the subdivision, which has 10 partly-built houses.
Bertrand said Douglas Creek Estates is part of a land claims suit filed in 1995 and involves continuing negotiations between the Crown and Six Nations. It is not one of two land claims, however, the reserve has been trying to expedite through an exploratory process.
The process was instituted last year to try to speed up settling the least contentious land claims by bringing the parties to the table in a more collaborative and less adversarial manner.