Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 22, 2006)
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
The court-imposed deadline for natives to leave a construction site in Caledonia is today at 2 p.m.
Those who don't leave face a 30-day sentence for contempt of court.
Ontario Superior Court Justice David Marshall said when he issued the deadline last week that only those who want to be arrested will be.
A group of Six Nations protesters has been occupying Douglas Creek Estates since Feb. 2.
The native people, who call the action a "land proclamation," say the subdivision, which has 10 partly built houses, is on land that was stolen from Six Nations and still belongs to them. They claim it is part of the 1784 Haldimand land grant to Six Nations.
Two weeks ago, developer Don Henning, of Henco Industries, obtained an injunction ordering the protesters off the site.
When police arrive to enforce the order, Marshall said the protesters will be given the opportunity to leave.
If they refuse to leave and are charged for contempt, they'll be brought to the police station, photographed, fingerprinted and immediately released on a six-month suspended sentence. During that period, they have to keep the peace and stay off the site.
If they abide by those conditions, they'll avoid jail and criminal records.
If they breach the conditions, however, they'll be brought back before the court and get a month in jail.