Six Nations Solidarity

News | Background | What you can do | Links 

Canada tribes fight off eviction

Indigenous Canadians occupying a construction site on land they claim as their own have rebuffed an overnight police attempt to force them out

BBC News:
Last Updated: Friday, 21 April 2006, 10:58 GMT 11:58 UK

[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]

Protesters blocked an approach road to a half-finished housing project in Ontario, burning tyres as police moved in and made several arrests.

The group has occupied the land for 52 days, insisting it was granted to native Canadians in 1784.

But officials say the site was ceded in 1841 to make way for a road. Deputy Commissioner Maurice Pilon blamed protesters for agitating against police, saying "officers were required to use some force" in making a reported 16 arrests, Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper said.

Protesters blamed police for disrupting a peaceful occupation.

'Ready for more'

A judge granted an injunction in March to force the protesters from the Six Nations off the land in Caledonia, about 110km (70 miles) from Toronto.

Authorities held talks with occupation leaders but those discussions broke down earlier this week.

A spokesman for the group, Janie Jamieson, said police used pepper sprays and dragged people from the tents where they slept.

"The OPP [police] has made the decision to break the peace, and that's what's happened," she said.

The protesters were ready to continue their occupation and expected another visit from the police, she added. Mr Pilon insisted the police wanted to resolve the long-running dispute. "We would ask everyone to work with us in restoring calm," he said. "Violence is certainly not the answer."

Police said they had no immediate plans to return to the site.

BackBack to updates

Back Top