Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
CBC News: http://www.cbc.ca/news
Last updated May 16 2006 02:58 PM EDT
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Six Nations protesters are allowing some traffic to pass through the blockade of a main highway in Caledonia, Ont., for the first time in two months.
Janie Jamieson, a spokeswoman for the protesters, says the move should be taken as an act of good faith in the negotiation process.
"We're hoping it will help keep things moving along. We didn't want things to sit at a stalemate and repeat the history of Ipperwash and Oka. We wanted to make some kind of attempt to take a step forward. Hopefully it will be acceptable to all parties involved," said Jamieson.
Tuesday's opening of the blockade was the first sign of progress since the blockade went up Feb. 28. With one lane of Argyle Street now open, vehicles have direct access through the town. In the past, locals had to find more round about ways to get where they want.
"We did want to take some steps forward. It was just decided that having these routes more accessible to the public would be a show of good faith on our part," said Jamieson.
The natives are protesting a developer's plan to build 250 luxury homes on a 40-hectare site in Caledonia, a community of 10,000 south of Hamilton. Natives say the land belongs to Six Nations.
The blockade has created tensions on both sides. Late last month, local residents, frustrated by the traffic and delays, rallied outside the OPP office, calling on police to do more to enforce a court order to have the blockades removed. Two people were arrested in the melee that followed.
Six Nations protesters say they never surrendered title to the land, which was originally part of an aboriginal treaty dating back to the 18th century. They say the land was leased to the province more than 160 years ago, not sold for development.
Former Liberal premier David Peterson was appointed April 29 to try to resolve the dispute.