Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
Published: Wednesday, May 24, 2006
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
CALEDONIA, Ont. (CP) - Electricity has been restored to thousands of people in the Caledonia area after being out since Monday afternoon.
Hydro crews worked through the night to restore power to the last 3,600 homes and businesses affected by the outage.
Hydro One spokesman Davvyd Roderick says fewer than 200 customers were still without power - down from around 8,000 on Monday when vandals damaged a power transformer station.
Roderick said repairs to the damaged station would take a few days to complete.
Power was restored a day after aboriginals lifted a blockade that had closed off the main road through this community near Hamilton for 33 days.
However, not all protesters have left the scene. A handful were seen early today blocking entry to a disputed housing development.
Two other aboriginal barricades on a highway bypass outside the town remain in place.
Aboriginal demonstrators began an occupation of the development February 28th, claiming the subdivision is on native land.
The protest spilled onto the roadway last month when police tried to enforce an court order and forcibly end the occupation.