Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
(May 24, 2006)
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Haldimand County has taken a number of steps to help people left without power because of the vandalism to a Hydro One transformer. Several thousand people may be without power for up to two more days.
An emergency shelter has been set up at the Cayuga Kinsmen Community Centre, 5 McKay St., Cayuga.
For information, call 905-318-5932, ext. 230.
There will be garbage bins at the Haldimand Caledonia Community Centre, 100 Haddington St., Caledonia, for the disposal of spoiled food.
Hydro One also advises that the need to conserve power remains.
Those with power may not necessarily have power maintained if the system is overloaded.
Avoid use of appliances such as washers, dryers, dishwashers etc.
For those without power:
If you remain at home, please exercise caution in the following areas:
Bacteria can make food unsafe to eat. Some bacteria can cause sickness, so it's important to lower your risk of food-borne illness by following these steps:
* Throw out these foods if the electrical power to your refrigerator has been off for more than four hours:
* Throw out all food with a strange colour or odour as soon as possible.
* Make sure raw meat, poultry and fish are wrapped well and kept in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
* Throw out all food that has been sitting at room temperature for more than two hours.
* Without power, a full upright or chest freezer will keep everything frozen for about two days. A full half freezer will keep food frozen for 1 day. Without power, the refrigerator will keep food cold for 4 to 6 hours.
* By keeping your freezer closed, you can help your food last as long as possible.
* Ice can also help keep the freezer cold.
* The following foods are safe without refrigeration:
Unprepared powdered milk, dry and canned food.
Health & Social Services inquiries, call 905-765-0873.
Alternate sources of light, heat and cooking: Do not use propane stoves or barbecues indoors for cooking or heating. Use candles with care.