Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
John Paul Zronik
Local News - Saturday, June 03, 2006 @ 01:00
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Henco Industries is demanding the provincial government sign an agreement to purchase Douglas Creek Estates at fair market value "as quickly as humanly possible," a company lawyer said Friday.
The 135-acre parcel of land in Caledonia, originally slated for a Henco subdivision, has been the site of a Six Nations land occupation since Feb. 28.
"We're simply saying actions speak louder than words," said Henco lawyer Michael Bruder. "Give us fair market value.
"They say they will, but they won't put it in writing."
Bruder said fair market value could be assessed by company and government experts working together to determine how much the occupied land is worth.
"We believe the negotiation could be done quickly," Bruder said.
If the Douglas Creek Estates subdivision had been constructed as planned, Henco says it would have earned $45 million in revenues from the sale of lots and construction of houses. The company says it has already spent about $6 million on subdivision servicing. More than 65 subdivision lots had been sold before the Six Nations occupation began.
Bruder said it's time for the provincial government to show some good faith to Henco, the lawful owners of Douglas Creek Estates.
"They're making concessions to the natives," he said. "That's the group that's in breach of a court order.
"It's just unacceptable to us."
Bruder said Henco first requested the province purchase the Douglas Creek Estates property after the government imposed an immediate moratorium on developing the site on May 17, without Henco's knowledge or consent.
"We were very critical of them doing that," he said.
If the government signs an agreement to purchase the property quickly, Henco says it would drop a court injunction ordering native protesters to leave the site.