Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
Monday, June 05, 2006
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Last month’s blackout, which left parts of Norfolk County in the dark for 36 hours, has cost local businesses at least $823,000, says a report from the county.
And that amount is likely to climb higher as responses from a survey by Norfolk’s economic development department continue to come in, the county warned in a press release last night.
Losses include lost business and inventory, additional labour expenses, and being victimized by criminals.
Forty-eight per cent of businesses that responded to the survey said it would take a week or less to recover from the blackout. Ten per cent said it would take more than a month.
About 120 surveys were distributed to Norfolk’s main employers. So far 71 have responded.
The companies employ a total of 1,838 people.
Other findings in the survey are:
The blackout occurred when a car was driven into a transformer station near Caledonia and set on fire. Police continue to investigate. The incident happened after town residents clashed with native protesters who have been occupying a housing development site. Native protesters claim the land belongs to Six Nations.