Six Nations Solidarity

News | Background | What you can do | Links 

Seven sought by police are sent away

OPP at Caledonia say warrants will still be executed, and call situation a 'wait-and-see' affair

John Burman
Hamilton Spectator
CALEDONIA (Jun 15, 2006)

[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]

Native protesters wanted in connection with three violent incidents in Caledonia last weekend have been removed from the disputed Douglas Creek Estates site and warrants for their arrest are still outstanding.

The Haudenosaunee Confederacy traditional government said yesterday the seven have been removed to an unnamed place while an investigation is conducted.

Six of them face charges, while the seventh protester has yet to be named in a warrant.

The OPP have asked Six Nations police for help locating the suspects wanted on charges including attempted murder, assault and robbery.

Haudenosaunee spokesperson April Powless said yesterday that the seven were brought before Confederacy Chiefs and Clan Mothers Sunday and it was decided that for the safety of all involved, they would be removed from the site until their investigation is complete.

Earlier, spokesperson Janie Jamieson made it clear the Confederacy has no plans to hand the individuals over to Six Nations police or the OPP.

Nevertheless, an OPP spokesman said yesterday the provincial police are confident the six accused will be arrested in time.

"We have always had an excellent relationship with Six Nations police and we believe that continues," said Constable Jeff Walraven. "It is 'wait and see.' When those persons are located, we believe the warrants will be executed." He said that could take place just about anywhere.

The Six Nations Police Service is not commenting specifically on the warrants.

"The matter is still under investigation," spokesman Jody Hill said yesterday on behalf of police Chief Glenn Lickers.

Hill said in a subsequent press release that Six Nations police -- formed in 1991 as an independently administered police service answerable to the Six Nations Police Commission and ultimately the reserve's elected band council -- continue to provide policing service to the Six Nations community itself.

The service has no policing responsibilities on the Douglas Creek Estate site, he said.

"We have been in regular contact with the Confederacy, band council and the OPP," said Hill.

"We are working with all parties to address community safety and security issues."

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty made arrest of the suspects and the removal of barricades on the Highway 6 bypass conditions for the continuation of talks aimed at resolving the 107-day land claim in the town. The talks resume today after the natives removed the barricades Monday and McGuinty said he was satisfied Six Nations leaders and police are co-operating with the OPP and their request for help executing the warrants

Monte Kwinter, Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, has said he is confident in the way the OPP is handling the situation.

A spokesman for the ministry responsible for policing in the province directed questions about the warrants to Six Nations police and the OPP.

"Those are policing issues," said spokesman Tony Brown. "not political issues."

If there were to be questions about Six Nations police handling of the OPP request for assistance on locating the suspects, the service would answer to its own community police commission just like any other municipal force, he said.

Wellington Staats, chair of the Six Nations Police Commission, could not be reached for comment.

Six of the seven persons were involved in incidents where two CH TV cameramen were injured, an elderly couple harassed in an Argyle Street parking lot and a vehicle belonging to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was taken and allegedly driven at a police officer before being returned a short time later.

With files from Spectator wire services

BackBack to updates

Back Top