Six Nations Solidarity

News | Background | What you can do | Links 

Woman arrested by native police

John Burman
Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 17, 2006)

[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]

One of seven persons sought in relation to several violent incidents involving the Douglas Creek Estates land dispute is in custody.

Six Nations police yesterday arrested a British Columbia woman wanted for intimidation and robbery in connection with an incident involving an elderly couple June 9.

Audra Ann Taillefer, 45, of Victoria, was arrested on Six Nations territory yesterday afternoon. Taillefer was transferred to the Haldimand County OPP and will appear in remand court in Cayuga today to set a date for trial.

Police said she is charged in relation to an incident before noon June 9 involving a Simcoe couple who were visiting the Caledonia area.

Taillefer is one of seven persons -- six of them named in arrest warrants issued by the OPP Monday -- sought in relation to incidents involving the theft of a U.S. Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) vehicle, and the alleged harassment of the couple and an alleged attempt to run over a police officer.

The couple claimed they stopped at the Douglas Creek Estates but denied taking photographs. There was an altercation and native protesters followed the car to a Canadian Tire parking lot. A number of persons surrounded the car. Some jumped on it.

Following the incident, a man in the car was taken to West Haldimand General Hospital in Hagersville as a precaution.

On Monday, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty pulled provincial negotiators from talks on the land dispute and demanded native highway barricades be removed and the suspects named in the warrants be handed over to the OPP.

The talks resumed Thursday after barricades were removed and McGuinty said he was satisfied Six Nations police were assisting the OPP in their search for suspects.

BackBack to updates

Back Top