Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
Globe & Mail
Posted at 7:31 PM EDT on 19/06/06
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
Caledonia, Ont. — Six Nations protesters are denying claims they are building a bunker on the site of an aboriginal occupation in southwestern Ontario.
Residents near the occupied tract of land expressed concerns last week when workers began excavating on the site of the half-completed subdivision.
But the protesters said Monday they're only conducting an archeological survey for thousands of bodies believed to be on the site.
“We're doing an archeological assessment of the whole area,” said Buddy Martin, who identified himself as assistant co-ordinator of the project.
Mr. Martin declined to provide any details about the excavation, but he insisted the project is not being done for militant purposes.
“It's not a bunker,” he said. “There's a lot of misinformation getting out. We wouldn't do that sort of thing.”
Developers Don and John Henning had their own survey done before getting approval for the subdivision.
The survey found fragments of aboriginal artifacts, but no evidence of a burial ground.
Anne Marie Flanagan, spokeswoman for Ontario Aboriginal Affairs Minister David Ramsay, said a second archeological survey was agreed upon during negotiations between former Ontario premier David Peterson and Six Nations representatives last month.
The Henning brothers are selling the site to the province for an undisclosed amount, and have said they are opposed to a second survey until the transaction is completed.
The protesters have been occupying the area since Feb. 28.
In Cayuga, Ont., on Monday, Audra Taillefer, 45, of Victoria made a brief appearance in bail court to face charges of intimidation and robbery in connection with a protest-related incident on June 9.
Her hearing was postponed because she didn't have surety and her lawyer failed to show up.
Police issued a warrant for Ms. Taillefer after two television cameramen were attacked in a parking lot in Caledonia.
Assistant Crown attorney Shane Hickingbottom said he'll be asking for a substantial cash bail when Ms. Taillefer appears for her bail hearing Wednesday.