Six Nations Solidarity
News | Background | What you can do | Links
Karen Best -
Haldimand Review staff
Local News - Thursday, July 6, 2006 @ 09:00
[SISIS note: The following mainstream news article is provided for reference only, as an example of how mainstream media treats indigenous resistance to genocide. Mainstream media often presents biased and distorted information, lacking pertinent facts and/or context. Inclusion of this article on our site should not be considered an endorsement by SISIS.]
CALEDONIA - The Ontario government is ready to help Caledonia residents who say they don’t want money. They are looking for peace and security on their properties.
“Throwing a little money at me and allowing this to go on for one and a half years isn’t doing anything for me,” said John Gould. People in his neighbourhood have lived with fear and uncertainty since some Six Nations residents began to occupy Douglas Creek Estates, a Caledonia housing development.
“I don’t want money. I want my life back,” he said.
One of his neighbours stopped by to talk about an interview with a representative from the Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
The ministry is canvassing the area to determine needs of those most affected by the Six Nations occupation of the subdivision. Homeowners close to the disputed property fear their homes have decreased in value.
Ministry employees came to his house to take information to deal with the Beginning [sic] on Feb. 28, some Six Nations residents, other First Nations peoples and protesters occupied Douglas Creek Estates. They say the land was never for sale and disputed the Ontario and Canadian government position that the land was sold in 1841. In 2005, the developers were guaranteed title by the Ontario government.
Frightened after a few Six Nations individuals threatened to burn down houses on June 9, he and other neighbours are petitioning for a bullet proof and flame proof fence. They want a highway sound barrier type fence erected between their homes and the railway track, where protesters often travel.
The man reported that Haldimand Norfolk MP Diane Finley was interested in helping and could because rail lines fall under federal jurisdiction. Last week Colleen Cameron, who works in Finley’s office, said the MP had not yet received the petition and could not comment on the fence at that time.
Affected residents say they will remain uneasy as long as protesters occupy the subdivision. Two weeks ago Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty asked them to leave but they have refused to do so stating it is their land.