* Nawash Bulletin on Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources' subsidies to OFAH: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/links/oct97ofah.htmlIt is worth noting that a number of groups have sprung up recently to work against native fishing rights. CLEAR, an environmental group, identifies the following groups in the August 19, 1997 edition of their magazine A CLEAR View (Vol. 4 #10):
* Anti-Colonial Action Alliance exposé of OFAH's links to the Conservative Party: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/links/aug97ofah.html
* Anti-Racist Action Toronto's exposé of OFAH: http://www.web.net/~ara/documents/ofahnatics.htm
* Sportsmen Protecting Every American's Right (SPEAR)SPEAR ran an advertisement in the St. Paul Pioneer Press calling for a rally on the official Minnesota fishing 'opening day' (May 10), to protest what they believe is preferential treatment of Native Americans under the law.* The Hunting and Angling Club
* Proper Economic Resource Management (PERM)The Hunting and Angling Club, an anti-native organization masquerading as a sportsmen's group, was founded by Howard Hanson, a board member of Citizens Equal Rights Alliance (an national anti-native organization). Hanson is also closely affiliated with PERM. PERM was able to enlist the help of revered former Minnesota Vikings head coach Bud Grant in the cause.* Protect Americans' Rights and Resources (PARR)Formed in the early 1990s in Wisconsin to battle the Chippewa Tribe as they reasserted the right to spear fish in area lakes, PARR's agenda has since branched out to include everything from blanket opposition to U.S. Federal Indian policy to gun control to curbs on smoking.If you know how to reach any of these groups, please let us know via email at SISIS@envirolink.org.
"It is a myth, invented by tribal attorneys and perpetuated by the media, that the tribes are a sovereign nation with the governmental authority to govern those people and lands within the reservation." - All Citizens Equal statementAll Citizens Equal
Like David Duke, Hanson is very well organized, and her political party 'One Nation' is becoming strongly politically influential in Australia. An ex-Liberal, she won a seat in Oxley in the 1996 federal elections, running as an independent, and then launched the 'One Nation' party in April 1997.
One Nation includes, in its list of "immediate goals":
* To stop all immigration except that related to investment that will lead to employment, and for this to continue until Australia's unemployment is solved.Scary.
* To treat all Australians equally, and in so doing, abolish divisive and discriminatory policies such as those related to aboriginal and multicultural affairs.
* To restrict foreign ownership of Australia, repeal the Native Titles Act, abolish ATSIC, and reverse WIK and MABO.
* To take positive action on such matters as taxation reform, education, health, crime, and the discrimination created by political correctness.
cnr East and South Street
Also there are two excellent pieces on the links between One Nation and other far-right organizations in Australia, put together by Green Left Weekly:
Ratbags in the Ranks: Hanson, the Coalition and the Far-Right
The Far Right in the Coalition
Note: Sylvia Hayes asked us to point out that the F.I.R.E. we refer to here is *not* Feminist International Radio Endeavor, which also goes by the acronym F.I.R.E.
# 281, 113-437 Martin St.
Canada V2A 5L1
WWW: http://www.vip.net/~bcfire - hosted by BC F.I.R.E.
# 281, 113-437 Martin St.
Canada V2A 5L1
Fax: (604) 493-5563
President: Greg Hollingsworth - Phone (250) 493-9292
Director: Judy Kilgour - Phone (250) 679-5300
Manitoba F.I.R.E. (MAN F.I.R.E.)
Swan River, MB
Canada R0L 1Z0
Phone (204) 734-3314
Ontario F.I.R.E. (ON F.I.R.E.) P.O. Box 821
Grand Bend, Ontario
N0M 1T0 Canada
Phone: (519) 243-3038
ON FIRE "was born out of frustration and dissatisfaction with the way that our governments (Canada and Ontario) are dealing with native land claims", particularly the standoff at Ipperwash in 1995, which they felt was unfair to non-native people who were cut off from their cottages by the Stoney Pointers.
The Center for the Defense of Free Enterprise
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Alan Gottlieb: President
Ron Arnold: Executive Vice President
Mackenzie Institute publications include "The Ipperwash Protests - An Unfinished Drama", a very interesting piece of anti-sovereigntist propaganda.
The Mackenzie Institute
P.O. Box 338, Adelaide Station
M5C 2J4 Canada
Tel: (416) 214-1388
The association also believes that in treaty negotiations, "the interests of all third parties and stakeholders must be fully taken into account", and is lobbying the B.C. government to legislate protection of all private land interests in treaty or other negotiations with indigenous peoples. Their call for protection includes unceded "grazing land, easements, land leases, registered trap lines, right of ways, water lots, and other occupier interests". If this legislation had been in place at the time of the Ts'peten standoff, it could have encouraged even more intense enforcement of Lyle James' "right" to have his cows defecate on the Sundance grounds within unceded Shuswap territory.
British Columbia Real Estate Association
309 - 1155 West Pender Street
Canada V6E 2P4
Fax: (604) 683-8601
B.C. Report Ltd.
#600-535 Thurlow St.
Canada V6E 3L2
Alberta Report is published weekly by:
United Western Communications Ltd.
17327 106A Avenue
Canada T5S 1M7
#207, 132411 Avenue SW
Canada T3C 0M6
Alberta Report web page design, concept, layout and maintenance is handled by Web Arts Interactive, Alberta, Canada. Call 1-800-461-6291 and let them know what you think.
Also check out the national newspaper Globe and Mail's inaugural 'Impolite Company' Op/Ed column, featuring none other than the editor/publisher of Alberta Report with some incredibly racist prose on the "Indian problem":
Reform Party of Canada
#600, 833 - 4th Avenue S.W.
Canada T2P 0K5
Tel: (403) 269-1990
Fax: (403) 269-4077
Aboriginal Affairs Critics for the Reform Party of Canada:
Manulife PO Box 19544, 55 Bloor St. West
Canada M4W 1B0
Phone: (416) 928-0238
Fax: (416) 928-0623
Department of Indian and Northern Affairs
Canadian racist groups and other hatemongers: http://alpha.ftcnet.com/~freedom/index2.html
(includes such gems as "The Euro-Christian Defence League")