Oct 5/98: Nisga'a deal is "make or break" for NDP


BC Report
October 5, 1998, p. 26

[S.I.S.I.S. note: The following article from the right-wing publication BC Report may contain biased or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context. It is provided for reference only.]

For the estimated $3 million it is spending to "sell" the Nisga'a Treaty to the BC public, the provincial government has found that it can set up a special office (the Nisga'a Treaty Implementation Project, with a staff of 20), hire a high-priced spin doctor (John Heaney, whose estimated annual salary is $100,000) and buy plenty of newspaper space and radio airtime...The Nisga'a Treaty is a make-or-break issue for the New Democrats, according to Premier Clark. In a recently published mid-summer interview with analyst John Twigg, the premier stated, "I think that about 70% of my time in the coming six months is going to be on Nisga'a depending on whether we call a fall legislative session or not." And what about the remaining 30% of his time? A trade mission to China tops the premier's agenda.

Back to SIS