Stoney Point Trial Update - Mar 31 / 97


Stoney Point First Nation #43 -- Aazhoodenaang Enjibaajig

For Immediate Release - Monday, March 31, 1997

posted by Carolyn Zavitz

On March 24, 1997 Judge A.M. Graham reserved his decision in the trial of Glenn Morris George of Stoney Point until May 26. George was charged with two counts of assault, one of mischief and one of uttering a death threat stemming back to incidents in Aazhoodena Territory on June 27 & 28, 1995 to which he pleaded not guilty.

Sarnia Provincial court heard testimony on March 24-27 in the trial of a youth who is charged with dangerous driving and assault with a weapon. The youth who was 16 years of age at the time cannot be identified under the Young Offenders Act pleaded not guilty.

On March 24 testimony was heard from Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) London Acting-Supt. John Carson, Sgt. George Hebblethwaithe and Const. Peter Osborne ERT (Emergency Response Team) Cambridge. March 25 began with Peter Osborne being cross-examined by defense lawyer Jeff House. Staff Sgt. Wade Lacroix, commander of the CMU (Crowd Management Unit), gave his testimony followed by Sgt. Robert Huntley ERT Owen Sound amd Mark Beauchesne London TRU (Tactical Rescue Unit). On March 26 testimony was given by Kevin York ERT Belleville, Brian Sharp ERT Brantford, and John James Stirling ERT Listowel.

After the noon recess, the accused gave his testimony and related how he drove the school bus forward in an attempt to split the police up who were clubbing and kicking Bernard "Slippery" George to death. The youth hoped to stop the attack but backed the bus up when he saw OPP officers in front and on both sides with their guns aimed at him. Gunfire erupted as he was backing up and he felt a sharp pain in the lower right back.

On March 27 news revealed a "secret cabinet order" to remove the park's occupiers contrary to OPP testimony heard. It was decided to proceed with the defense for the day when an adjournment would be requested. Testimony was then heard from Elwood George. Bernard George, a band councillor in Kettle Point, testified about his concern for the safety of the people in the "park" and how he attempted to talk to the police --only to be clubbed and kicked almost to death. Defense testimony was also heard from Dr. Allison Marr who described Bernard George's injuries covering 28 different areas of his body.

Many of the other charges yet to be heard relate to the September 6, 1995 confrontation when the police attacked the unarmed men, women, and children at Stoney Point resulting in the murder of Anthony O'Brien "Dudley" George. (Policeman Kenneth Deane's trial begins on April 1 for criminal negligence in Dudley's murder.)



For more information contact:
Marcia Simon
RR #1, Forest, Ont., Canada N0N 1J0
Phone: (519) 786-4052
Fax: (519) 786-6642

That first Stoney Pointer is told "May 26 your verdict we will know."
Then the youth told how he drove bus down amongst police row upon row
Trying to save life of Kettle Pointer receiving blow upon blow!
News leaks, court adjourns, on May 6 back to court he must go!

- Marcia F. Simon

Back to SIS