Trial, Week 13: Summary - October 21


WEEK 13: OCTOBER 21 - OCTOBER 25, 1996

   * Day 59: Monday, October 21         * Day 62: Thursday, October 24
   * Day 60: Tuesday, October 22        * Day 63: Friday, October 25
   * Day 61: Wednesday, October 23


Edited by Roz Royce and Trond Halle, from notes by Trond Halle (Defendant)

Posted by FreeMedia

MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 1996 - DAY 59

Abbreviations used in notes:

DC = Don Campbell (Defense)
SF = Shelagh Franklin (Defense)
GW = George Wool (Defense)
ST = Sheldon Tate (Defense)
MA = Manuel Azevedo (Defense)
HR = Harry Rankin (Defense)

LB = Lance Bernard (Crown)
JF = Jennifer Fawcus (Crown)

J = Judge

JF - Next witness (#57): Cpl. Mike Lawrence Legassicke (ML) - Ten years in RCMP. Now on Gabriola Island since 1995. Was at Gustafsen Lake with Victoria ERT. Arrived Sept. 3. Prior to Sept. 11, ML was working around Gustafsen Lake with Victoria ERT.

On Sept. 11, he was at Monkey and Panther intersection with the Blue Bison. Entire Victoria ERT was in that area. They were maintaining security at the intersection. He was not aware of plan to disable red truck. As day progressed, he learned of plan over ERT radio. Cst. Wally McCue was team leader. He heard later on radio that Red Bison was disabled in a field. His team sought permission to assist Red. All were sitting in Bison at this point. They got permission to go.

ML was at front of Bison, directly behind crew commander. He was standing up in large hatch, exposed from his armpits up. He was carrying an M-16. He doesn't recall if he was wearing any bulletproof clothing at that time. Five people were standing up in the hatches. Anderson was behind, along with Bourdages, McCue and a Chilliwack ERT member.

They took Monkey north to 1000 Road, which they then took to Lakeshore Road. They went west on Lakeshore Road. He was still standing in his hatch. They drove quickly at 50-60 kph. ML says they then started taking fire on the port/left side of the Bison. He heard metallic "pings" - four, five or six of them. ML was on left side in left hatch. He had heard that Courtney team was on south side of lake. ML felt rounds were coming from a ditch or a treeline that was between the road and the lake. He says that the ditch or treeline was close to the road, maybe five or six metres away. ML says the Blue Bison was very visible at this time.

From outside of Bison, he says that it is very obvious that the Bison is a military vehicle. It has a very distinct noise. "It's very difficult to mistake the Bison from anything other than a Bison." There was a lot of dust behind the Bison as it drove along the lakeshore.

On the small aerial photo, he points to where Bison took fire. This is on small section of Lakeshore Road that turns northwest for a short stretch before heading due west. He says the fire was coming from the forest directly below road (to south). ML says that he was looking in this area, but saw nothing. He returned five to ten shots in the area, as did other members in the Bison. ML yelled to the other members the direction that they were taking fire from. Bison was continuously moving and never stopped. It proceeded down road and into clearing.

In clearing, he saw the stationary Red Bison. The Blue Bison made a large circle around Red. ML was still standing in his hatch. He only saw the single Bison, but didn't see any people in the area. Then the Blue Bison pulled up next to Red and almost immediately took fire as they got there. Blue was facing camp now. Rounds were striking front and side of Bison. The downed Red Bison was on their right side from where Blue stopped. ML was returning fire. He was getting information on where to lay down fire using the clock method, which presumed that the front of the Bison was facing 12 o'clock. He laid down fire from the 11 o'clock to the 1 o'clock positions. He was laying down fire into the treeline directly to their front.

At one point, they closed the Blue Bison hatch. This was after they threw smoke grenades to provide cover for people hooking up the Red Bison to Green. He's not sure why they closed the hatch because almost immediately, they opened it again. ML and Anderson were the ones who closed the hatch. While closing it, they had broken the spring mechanism. ML says they had to expose their chest to close it. He doesn't know who then opened it, but it was with the purpose of taking another position firing out of the Bison. He and Anderson would alternate firing - one would fire while the other reloaded, then they would rotate.

Following the 11th, he continued with the duties that he had basically done prior to the 11th.

HR - ML says he felt that the fire they came under on Lakeshore Road was a series of single shots. When Blue came to the disabled Red Bison, he pulled up to south side of it. Two other Bisons pulled up after. There were 14 police officers, two army personnel and two dogs in the their Blue Bison. He thinks the shooting there lasted 15 minutes or so.

ML doesn't think he fired a thousand rounds as HR suggests. He knows he fired all of his personal 120 rounds. Then he was handed fully loaded weapons. He wasn't changing magazines, he was just given loaded weapons in exchange for those he fired. He was handed four or five new weapons. ML says that he, Anderson and McCue were the only ones he remembers firing. McCue was in rear hatch and the Chilliwack ERT member was in other rear hatch. He says he fired maybe 150 rounds. He never emptied the guns he was given. He never counted the rounds he fired. Normally he would, but in this situation there were just too many guns being fired.

ST - Ex. 5, map of area with animal names, is shown to ML. ML can't see Monkey on large aerial photo. ST suggests that Monkey lies along treeline of great big clearing northwest of camp. ML says that on the 11th, at the intersection of Monkey and Panther, they had just arrived and hadn't set up any forward observation posts yet. They were within 150 metres of intersection. ML agrees that they would have had to pass checkpoint "D" on the route to help the disabled Bison. ST suggests that the route they took was three times longer than if they had driven directly south and then had gone east along lakeshore. ML doesn't know why they went that way - he wasn't in charge of this. He thinks that there was a reason at the time - maybe another Bison was already on that southbound route.

When Bison took fire on Lakeshore Road, ML agrees that he couldn't tell the calibre of the bullets that hit. He says that in hindsight, he thought the fire was maybe coming from the occupants of the red truck. He never got any information one way or another if there were camp people south of his position. He agrees they were driving quickly on this road and the time to yell back to members and return fire couldn't have been more than ten seconds. ST suggests that this happened so quickly, he couldn't really tell where the fire was coming from. ML agrees that it happened quickly, but the only people south of his position was Courtney ERT team "and there was no way I'd believe that we would take fire from them." During the two or three seconds that he returned fire, he thinks he fired five to ten rounds. He fired very quickly.

ML agrees that he wasn't judging the trajectory of his bullets, he was just returning fire into a general area.

ML agrees that from pings on left side, he couldn't really tell where the rounds were coming from. He just felt they were coming from the land strip between the road and the lake. He cannot say whether rounds hitting were coming from five metres away or 1,000 metres away. He was only aware of Courtney team being on the south side of the lake.

GW - ML agrees that on Sept. 4th, the Victoria ERT team was involved in a shooting in a Suburban. There were 11 people in four Suburbans armed with M-16s, Sig Saurs, and MP5s. They were west of Gustafsen Lake. The Suburban with the dog handler in it had already left. ML's Suburban left next, 30 seconds ahead of last two. He heard on radio that one of the Suburbans had taken fire. He heard this around 7:00 p.m. ML agrees that as soon as he heard radio report of taking fire, he felt it came from one of the camp members. ML received information from his team that they had fired in response. ML says that he spent the night in the bush that night. He never saw natives stalking the RCMP. He spent night on Elephant. ML says the shot happened on Lion, halfway between Elephant and lake. On Ex. 5, where Elephant is written and there is an arrow, this is where the shot was heard. Agrees this is quite a distance from the camp.

Says that this section of road is wide in some places and narrow in others. There were also trees on road that had been felled. Following report of shot, he raced forward with team and took up a position to wait for other members to come. They were waiting to be relieved by Prince George team. He only saw a red light moving through the woods that night - like a diode light. He saw no people and heard no shots.

ML doesn't know John Ward, nor did he hear of news report that police had been shot at that night. He says that there was speculation that this could have been a tree branch, a shot, or other things that hit the mirror. ML says that he later looked at side mirror and it had a dent in it. One member thought he saw a muzzle flash. ML says that some RCMP suggested that the dent was caused by a tree branch. ML says the dent in the mirror wasn't the only concern - there was also the report of muzzle flash. Says that two or three members emptied their 30 round magazines in response. He heard this over radio and from ERT members directly.

ML claims he never heard the news reports that night. He may have heard reports later of the incident.

DC - On Sept. 11, when Bison took fire on Lakeshore Road, ML knew that Courtney team was across the lake. He says he wasn't concerned about firing southward in response because angle was downward from the great height of the Bison. He was not aware of ERT members directly south of this position. ML says that he wouldn't expect police to fire at Bison because it's quite obvious that this is a military vehicle. Agrees that they are noisy vehicles and when all four got together, there was a lot of noise.

ML says that after he arrived in clearing, he was aware of three Bisons being there. The other non-disabled Bison may have come in behind their Blue Bison. ML says shots hitting on Lakeshore Road were a light "ping" noise, but when they got to clearing, there was also a heavier "ping". ML suggests that this might be because of where the bullets hit on the Bison, the calibre of the weapons and the distance that they are fired from.

ML not sure of who broke the spring on the hatch. He says that it was broken when they were trying to close it in the clearing. He says that the weight was considerable and he saw Anderson almost crawl right out to close it.

He doesn't remember why they closed it. They had thrown the smoke grenade and the spoon (a part of the grenade) had landed back in the Bison. They didn't know what the spoon was at first, which created some panic. They closed the hatches and then they realized that they were sitting ducks and would rather at least have a view out of the Bisons, so they opened the hatches again. ML says that the dogs were amazingly well behaved because they were being stepped on. They were muzzled, but still very good.

MB/ Without jury.

GW - Tremblay and Russell being called tomorrow regarding JoJo's statement. GW wanted to reopen this because GW has learned that Russell told JoJo that his lawyer wasn't available when, in fact, he was. GW wants to know if he can open up a ruling and introduce fresh evidence. GW hasn't been able to find any law to back this up, but he hasn't found any law prohibiting the J from doing so. GW wants to hold off on calling these witnesses until he can deal with this. He's willing to do so tomorrow.

LB - Says that GW's evidence was available at the time of the original voirdire. All it shows is that Mr. Gibbs was further away from JoJo than was originally stated. It doesn't necessarily put in question the reliability of the witness's testimony. LB is available for 9:30 tomorrow morning to deal with this. J wonders if there are other witnesses that can be called in if these witnesses are delayed. LB says that an audio tape of a radio show of Suniva speaking can be played in gaps of witnesses. The witness Ian Flett couldn't make it today so that has to be considered for future scheduling. Next witness is DeMeester, but he isn't available until this afternoon.

J says that he has written up a single page reminder to the jury on law regarding the previous cell plant undercover officer.

Jury back.

DC - cont'd with Cpl. Legassicke - ML agrees that he only thought that the fire was coming from the treeline. The fire he laid down was suppressive fire. ML agrees at least one other member was doing the same. He can't say where the other person was firing at all.

On Sept. 4, re: mirror hit, all he can say is that he viewed a mirror with a dent in it and he had a conversation with other ERT members. ML says that he never heard Ident. report that it was a tree branch that hit the mirror. ML says that he had spoken to other members that had been asked by Ident. if it could have been a tree branch.

DC shows ML modified playing cards. He knows of them. Calls them "calling cards" and were psychological tools to let camp members know the police were around. Would leave these cards during deep penetrations. Doesn't know if this is what was used during Vietnam, but agrees that they are psychological tools. Reference to "Wild Weasel" and "White Cloud" may have been to ERT members that had got the nickname for that day. Denies that native type names were to make fun of natives.

MA - denies that Kembel came up with this idea of the cards. ML says that this was a team idea that Victoria ERT came up with while sitting around.

ML says that he left a couple of cards at the site of the firefight. He says it was intended to keep the natives from going on recces, just like the early warning devices were used for the same intention (trip wires hooked up to stun grenades).

McCue gave him the cards. The cards were already written on when he received them. He kept the cards in his pocket.

ML gave statement to Investigator. Statement says that there were 17 members total in the Blue Bison. MA notes that ML is the only other member being called from that Bison other than Horton. ML agrees that his rifle jammed at one point. He says that at one point, he used the army C-7s. Statement says that five or six members were loading magazines: Horton, Hogg, Lea, Leonard. Chilliwack member had back injury and handed up mags. Mike Frizzell was also handing them up. Standing up was himself, ?, McCue, and Chilliwack member. ML says that Dennis Wah told him that he fired rounds. Notley was there, but not sure if he fired. Singh from Mission was guy in rear hatch with McCue - not sure if he fired. Stoner - not sure if he fired either. 500-800 rounds were fired. The spent casings were piled on the open hatches and they had to be pushed aside. MA says another member felt thousands of rounds were fired from Blue. ML not sure. He figures him and Anderson fired 500-800 alone. MA reads that Schlueter saw pock marks on crew commander hatch that he thought might be friendly fire. ML doesn't recall this. It was never discussed.

When Bison took fire on Lakeshore Road, he couldn't see water of the lake at the time. When the Bison cleared the area where they took fire, he could see the lake.

MA asks ML to pull out his statement. Question by Cpl. Guignon is answered by ML that "on route there we were going along the lakeshore...we began to take rounds on the APC, the driver's side, the left side of the APC...myself and a few other members laid down covering fire... along the shoreline of the lake." ML agrees that this is what he said. ML claims this means the land between the road and the lake. ML agrees that Frizzell was also in Bison. MA reads from Frizzell's statement that there was information that some other police were south of their position. ML claims he thought this referred to Courtney ERT across the lake.

ML stood down.

LB suggests that we use the next half hour to play radio tape. GW agrees.

LB - Says that GW has agreed that his client Suniva Bronson did make a radio interview on Sept. 25, 1995. J explains to jury that it is open to an accused to admit technical evidence as fact to save time. LB says that a transcript of the radio interview is also available, but isn't necessarily totally accurate, but will assist the jury to know who is speaking.

HR - wants to let jury know that all Defense counsel agree with the written instructions the J has prepared for them.

J thanks Defense for their assistance and reads his instructions to the jury, copies of which they will receive. He reiterates that a statement made by an accused can only be used against that person alone - not to others the person may speak of.

The jury has to remember that each accused has to be tried separately and that statements about other people are to be ignored when those people aren't present because they can't react or object to what is being said about them. This letter of instruction is handed out to the jury members.

LB - Begins tape. Tape: Host introduces John Hill and Suniva Bronson. Host notes that Bruce Clark was made to look like a crazy man. John Hill says that this is exactly what it was - a smear campaign because of the brilliance of his arguments. When a person is put in for psychiatric analysis, they pump people full of drugs so that by the time you're evaluated, you end up babbling like an idiot. Hill says that Clark is in for a psychiatric exam with Wolverine's son, JoJo.

Hill says that he has contacted Ramsey Clark (former U.S. Attorney General and Hill's personal lawyer from the Attica insurrection of 1971) and Ramsey has been reviewing the case for putting Clark away. Ramsey is also looking at the attempt to imprison Wolverine after he was given bail. Wolverine was originally let go by a circuit judge who understood him to be a peaceful person. The government is trying to put him away again.

Hill says that they are fighting infringements that occurred up at Gustafsen Lake like the use of 400 army and police, explosives to blow up truck, etc. Canada is supposed to be an upholder of human rights, but they are as fascist as countries like Guatemala and El Salvador. Newspaper reports regarding the assault on the camp on Sept. 11 said that a woman was killed. Luckily that didn't happen, but if it did, it could have started something that would have spread right across the country. Dudley George was killed at Ipperwash and prayers go out to him.

L/ Tape will continue later. J tells jury that tape will be used to fill in gaps when there are no available witnesses.

LB - Next witness (#58): Cst. Richard DeMeester (RD) - 15 years on force. Now in Vancouver undercover unit. Been there for three years. Took three week training where he learned undercover techniques.

Sept. 17, he got call from Sgt. Haslett, his supervisor, who told him to stand by to go to Gustafsen Lake. Cpl. Skippon was to be his contact man. Got call from Skippon that evening, who told him to stand by. At 8:15 p.m., Skippon called again and ordered him to 100 Mile House. Got to 100 Mile House at 2:30 a.m. Sept. 18th. He attended a safe house around 100 Mile House. Met Skippon and Charles - both Cpls. from SubDivision. He was told that he would be in a cell with James Allen Pitawanakwat (OJ). Wasn't told much, except that OJ had been picked up on Sept. 15. Was told to look into Suburban shooting of August 27, helicopter shooting, the red truck being blown up, explosives in the camp, and other things pertaining to the standoff. Briefing took place (en route) from safe house to 100 Mile House Detachment - an hour long. He heard about Gustafsen Lake from media.

He was to portray a biker-type individual. His cover story was that he had been involved in an assault in a collection-type incident. He wore black jeans and T-shirt. His hair was loose.

An unknown member and a guard led him to a cell with two bunks. He was locked in as if he was a prisoner with OJ. He asked why he wasn't being put in a cell by himself. OJ said that the cells were full from people at Gustafsen Lake. RD didn't respond. OJ gave him a mattress and both fell asleep. J asks jury to step out.

Jury out. J asks if LB is going to lead something about OJ's criminal record. GW assumed that LB wouldn't. J says that in the voirdire, he had ruled that this shouldn't be led. J stands down for a moment so references to OJ's record and his charges can be deleted.

Jury and J back.

LB cont'd with Cst. DeMeester - At 3:00 a.m., on the 18th, OJ was asleep when RD first entered the cell.

They both woke at the same time. OJ introduced himself as if RD was supposed to know who he was. OJ said he had come out on Friday. RD told OJ that the standoff was over and everyone was out. OJ was surprised. OJ asked RD what he was in there for and RD told him his cover story. OJ told him what he was charged with and asked RD what his chances were to get bail. RD told OJ that he was caught collecting. OJ said that he used to collect too on the skids. RD says that OJ told him he had a record. GW objects and asks jury to step out.

Jury out. GW says he will have to apprise OJ of the law that a person's character cannot be brought forward to a jury. J stands down so GW can do this.

J back.

GW - says that he has spoken to OJ about his rights. Says that OJ seeks a severance from this trial. The officer was careless even after being warned about being careful. Says the reference to a record could be from a small thing to a large thing. It's too prejudicial and the J can't have jury overlook this. This is significant because an accused should never have to defend his record. The J even raised this. GW says that OJ asked what do we do now? The hurdle is too great to get over to haggle about what the charges were. And with the only fingerprint found being OJ's, it's impossible to get a reference to his record out of the jury's mind. GW doesn't know if LB has a way to sanitize this testimony. It's too great a hurdle. He wants OJ's case to be severed.

LB - Agrees that GW was fair to assume that the witness wouldn't say what he did and LB was surprised too. LB spoke to witness after and RD was surprised he said it too. LB's disappointed, but as Crown, he can't support submission to sever OJ's case. He opposes this saying that OJ isn't an insignificant accused. LB says that he would like to look up some law that might assist J. J agrees that he would like this. LB says that each case should be looked at individually. J will let LB give submission tomorrow. In meantime, LB will play radio tape and hold off on further evidence from RD until this is resolved tomorrow. J stands down for the moment.

J and jury back.

Audio tape continued. Page 9 of transcript. Tape: Suniva Bronson describes what happened when she went out to get water. The day before the 11th, the police had sent in a proposed cease-fire plan which the camp rejected. The camp sent out another map with larger perimeters so they could get water and wood. On the 11th, they didn't know the police had come in so close and had planted mines. She and another person were in the truck when it blew up. They made it out into the woods and into the lake. An APC was seen and then shooting started. She made it to camp. Then returned to witness what was going on. She saw another Bison come across the Sundance grounds. She was shot and stood up telling them she was unarmed. Felt she had been sniped from across the lake. She was allowed to walk back to the camp.

The police used bombs and flares in the night. The coyotes, the bears, the birds struck fear into the police and this is what scared them in the night.

The host notes that in the past, 350 ghost dancers were massacred because of the colonizers' fear of native spirituality. Suniva says she felt the power up there and those cops must be wondering what the hell they were doing up there.

They had 400 cops and APCs there to keep 20 people in the area. They must be ashamed to learn that there were two young girls, four elders, two white women and a few young men. She hopes that the RCMP would think about what they did and maybe quit their jobs. (Laughter in the court).

Host asks about the incident with the cops and the forestry workers and John Hill says that a video made by an independent journalist, Trond Halle, shows that the RCMP fired first. Shells found on the road were from M-16s, which the camp didn't have. People weren't really hit there and it was orchestrated for the media's sake. The police were preparing for a massacre. Hill questions why they brought in an American psychologist that was at Waco when the police claim that they were working for a peaceful resolution.

Hill notes that he gave a list to the police of people that would help end the standoff peacefully three weeks before they used it. On the top of the list was John Stevens, as well as Orvil Looking Horse. What got things going finally was when Dudley George was killed and warrior societies threatened to move if there was one more person killed. When Stevens was finally called in, it took him three hours to bring those people out. The police chose not to get him before and chose instead to continue the skirmishes.

Suniva reiterates that if one person would have been killed at Gustafsen Lake, it would have been an act of war that would have spread all over North America. This should be seen as a warning to all of Canada.

Hill says that regarding Ipperwash, the missing document was finally found. Likewise at Gustafsen Lake, it has not come out that Lyle James sent his cowboys in to kill those in the camp. Issues have not been raised like the Queen's obligation to protect the native people. Hill says that this is a warning to all people. Natural law is the only law. People don't understand that we are heading from one world to another and those that don't accept the natural law are going to have rough times ahead. We're dealing at some pretty heavy metaphysical levels here. We're all going to die one day and because we are able to tap into the spiritual plane, we are able to see that there is no death, there is only a change of planes. That's why we have no fear.

We are a sovereign people and we have to stand on this sovereignty. We have to stop letting other people tell us how to live our lives. Pretty soon, you end up with corrupt band councils telling us how to live and we end up with our men drinking and our women in jail. That is not from our system. This is slow death. Why should we accept this? We should stand up like warriors and defend our lands. This is a prophecised time when a great Pan-American movement will spread.

The host notes that this movement is not limited to North America. It is a movement that is happening all over the world with all indigenous people. Hill agrees and says that it's hypocritical for people to say that we should have just prayed and not taken up arms. We believe in prayer, but we also believe in defending ourselves.

AB/ Tape cont'd: Music plays. Jury and J laughing. LB: "This is all very nice, but I don't know how long it lasts." More laughter. J: "That's the best thing I've heard in a long time." The tape is fast forwarded to find the talking bits. Trond is enjoying a piece of smoked deer meat, so he doesn't mind the delay.

Tape: Host says that the Defenders were guaranteed to be treated with respect when they came out. Instead, they were given paper bags to wear. Their lawyer Bruce Clark has been institutionalized.

A Globe and Mail article called the natives "terrorists" and "cultists".

Hill says that his work will continue as long as the "North of 60" syndrome continues. This being that the natives can't take care of their own affairs and instead need to have band council puppets to take care of them. A struggle will continue between band council systems and traditional systems. In the elected system, only a few people seem to do well while the rest of the community lives in abject poverty. The North of 60 syndrome leads people to think that everything is okay.

Suniva says that all of the people had their clothes removed and given a tissue paper suit. Wolverine lost 10 pounds in his short stay. One woman was kicked out of jail in the middle of the night with no shoes, no money, and not knowing anyone. OJ had his clothes taken away and he can't smoke in there. Suniva said it was pretty bad and she wouldn't want to go through it again.

The host asks why the camp came out. Suniva said it wasn't from what the RCMP and government said. The elders didn't want the young people to die because there was still work to do. It wasn't because of any exterior pressures. The system is built on lies and deceit and that has to change.

Hill says that a real democracy in its purest form takes care of the whole people. This isn't what is happening here. It only appears to be like this, but in truth, they only support the status quo. There are allies out there and it's not based on gender or race. They are white, black and yellow that are trying to survive. They are out of work. It's only a matter of time before the gulf between the haves and the have-nots is removed. People have to take control of their own lives. When the gulf gets too wide between the haves and the have-nots, you're going to have a population that is out of control. The pent-up frustrations will be unleashed. There has to be a governing process that acts for the needs of the people. If we had that, there wouldn't be any need for resistance.

Hill points out that the requirement for control is a docile population. He points out that the notion of land claims is ludicrous. Why should we have to make claims for land that we never relinquished. The Papal Bull declared that natives weren't animals. But there are still laws in places that allow you to hunt natives. The host says that this still exists. Hill agrees because up at Gustafsen Lake, the RCMP had T-shirts saying that they were going up to Gustafsen Lake to hunt some big bucks. Hill notes that there is still a lot of racism in the RCMP and mentions an annual gathering in Tennessee sponsored by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) where carloads of RCMP attend. RCMP have been known to wear T-shirts that have Martin Luther King with a scope on his forehead. Hill wonders if that's not KKK affiliations, what is it? The host suggests that it could be the Canadian Airborne. Laughter in the gallery.

Hill says that the transnational corporations are eyeing the resources of Canada. Suniva says that people have to take the responsibility to identify the oppressors. If you stand up for truth, you'll get slammed, just like people have throughout history. You just have to go for it. They can't kill the spirit.

Hill says that we should all join together and extend our hands in friendship. We should test our governments to see if they really do stand for the people. Suniva yips in support. Freedom!

Hill asks for support to help the Defenders wage their battle. Suniva reminds the audience that this is going to affect everyone. Hill says that they've been talking to the world from square one and support is rolling in from indigenous peoples all over the world.

Hill says that in the spiritual sense, things are getting close. We have to look at the Great Law brought by the visionary Deganawida. He brought a model that asked for equality for all people. Suniva thanks everyone that helped send prayers to the Defenders throughout the standoff. Hill finishes by saying "And last of all, free Leonard Peltier."

Tape ends. J tells jury that they won't be needed until 10:30 a.m. tomorrow.

   * Day 59: Monday, October 21         * Day 62: Thursday, October 24
   * Day 60: Tuesday, October 22        * Day 63: Friday, October 25
   * Day 61: Wednesday, October 23